All About Here Be Monsters
Here Be Monsters is a growing community of radio producers, artists, and listeners who are interested in pursuing their fears and facing the unknown. We tend to produce pieces about science, drugs, death, religion, politics, and medicine. But seriously, just dig through the archive a bit and you'll find shows about nearly everything.
The show started in 2012 with a fellowship grant from SoundCloud. And during that year, we were honored to be called the third best new podcast by The Daily Dot. That's better than Alec Baldwin's new show did, for real.
Here are more in-depth write-ups about the show:
- The Art of Podcasting: Jeff Emtman - The Timbre
- The Creation of Here Be Monsters - Tape Radio
- Tackling Personal Fears Through Podcasts - The Daily Dot
Where Can I Listen?
This section was originally written in the style of Dr. Suess. But, regretfully, we replaced that text with a much more informative How To Listen page that lists all the podcast distributors that carry the show (and then some).
How Can I Support The Show?
Did you know that HBM is a free indie podcast with no budget? There are 3 major ways you can support the show: Words, Art and Money.
- Words: If you appreciate the show, just tell your friends and share the show on social networks, send good thoughts, etc. It might seem frivolous from your end, but really, it helps, really. Really. Do you have a blog? Write a post about HBM or even just share a link.
- Art: Want something beautiful in return? Buy this original art magazine about silly tourists. $10 goes right back into making the show happen. And you get a real nice magazine or of the deal.
- Money: At the bottom of every page on this site, there's a "donate button". Click that, and we'll love you forever. You'll even get some hard to find HBM swag as our thank you to you.
Additionally, HBM is looking for advertisers with good morals. Want to get your message out to thousands of HBM listeners? Send a message on the contact page.
What Was That Song I Heard On That One Episode?
HBM collaborates with several musicians for bumper music. Each of these musicians are phenomenal and definitely worth your time. Most of their work is available for free or cheap, so support their work as well.
- Nym: Bay Area Hip Hop Producer
- Lucky Dragons: LA Area Experimental Electronic Duo
- Flower Petal Downpour: Portland Based Downtempo Electronic Artist
- Swamp Dog: Alasakan Folktronica Artist
- Phantom Fauna: Brooklyn Based Ambient Duo
- Serocell: Abstract Electronic
- Monster Rally: Tropical Instrumentals
- The Black Spot: Jeff's Alter Ego
Who Produces the Show?
Jeff Emtman is the Lead Producer and Host of Here Be Monsters. He also does most of the administrative work social media and editing. He’s a photographer turned radio producer living in Seattle, WA (via Boulder via Bellingham). He loves old road bikes, has a beard and cooks his own damn food. If you like the aesthetic of HBM, then you'll like his photo site www.jeffemtman.com
Bethany Jo Denton is the Story Editor of Here Be Monsters. She helps out with scripts and story choices and contributes to HBM's social media presence. She lives in Washington State. She produced Chuck Gets Circumcised.
Do you want to produce an HBM episode? Send a pitch!
You Should Do A Show About…
Hell yeah! Mail us a pitch.
You Should Put My Band's Music On The Show...
Hell yeah! Mail us a link.
I Would Like To Advertise On HBM...
HBM is looking for advertisers want to get their message out to thousands of HBM listeners. If you aren't a slimeball and have a product or service that you’d like to advertise, send a message!
Can I Give Copies Of The Show To My Friends?
Does HBM Have Naughty Words?
Kind of. Since HBM is a show about fear and the unknown, some of shows cover dark topics. These topics will always be covered in a mature way, because HBM believes that talking about our fears frankly is the only way to overcome them. Regarding swear words, episodes with uncensored words will have “explicit” in the title. Some episodes have been censored with beeps. Just remember that “explicit” is an arbitrary concept, so your mileage may vary.
Where Can I Find Transcripts?
Mmmm, we’ll type them up for $10 or so. Just send a message and ask for one.
What Equipment/Software/Hosting Do You Use?
- Zoom H2N handheld recorder (under $200)
- Roland r-05 handheld recorder (discontinued, but super cheap now)
- Tannoy Reaveal 501a Studio Monitors (around $300 per pair)
- First Gen M-Audio Mobile Pre USB Interface (discontinued)
- M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Controller ($80)
- Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Studio Headphones ($100)
- Reaplugs by Cockos (free)
- Camel Crusher (free)
- Free Amp 3 Distortion by Fretted Synth (free)
- MSED Inline Mid/Side Processor by Voxengo (free)
- MDA Plugin Pack (free)
- DNS: Nearly Free Speech
- CMS: SquareSpace
- Theme: Here Be Monsters, based off of the SquareSpace Peak Template.
Current HBM Wishlist:
- An end to frivolous consumerism (Free, but it will take some work)
- Seriously though, we don't need much equipment to make the show. Your donations to the program will help support purchase of music, producer payments, and future bandwidth charges.
Total equipment value = around $900
What Are The Plans For The Future?
We think Here Be Monsters is different and unusual and important. We think it's greater than the sum of it's parts. Call it mighty, but we think it's actually possible to get more people talking about the unknown in daily life. And we think that will change the world for the better.
Maybe you agree. If so, we'd really love it if you would join our ultra-secret society of HBM Superfans. Just head over to the contact page, fill out the form, and we'll work together on this.
You, as an advocate for a show as young as HBM has an incredible amount of say in the future of this conversation. And that's pretty damn special.
What Other Podcasts Should I Listen To?
There are tons of good podcasts these days. Here are some favorites:
- 99% Invisible
- Everything Sounds
- Freakonomics Radio
- Why You're Wrong
- To The Best Of Our Knowledge
- Love and Radio
- Snap Judgment
- On the Media
- The Moth
- Stuff You Should Know
Thanks for reading! you deserve a high five!